How it works
What makes our CMS solution so unique is how we put it together to give you a powerful, simple interface without every compromising the security or integrity of your website.
What’s the underlying open source CMS we use?
We use WordPress to power your content management system. It’s the world’s most popular CMS, and arguably the most feature-rich as well, especially when you consider what you get out of the box and what you can do with it through the addition of modules and plugins.
Many don’t like it, especially at Enterprise-level delivery, because it’s not as fast as other solutions and, if left to go out of date, can easily be compromised. That’s why we don’t use it like other people!
We ‘harden’ WordPress with custom tools that make exploitation much more difficult
We’ve been using WordPress for years now, and we’ve developed several key ways to make sure it’s extra robust when it comes to protecting itself against any potential intrusion.
We don’t use WordPress to power your actual website
Rather, we just use it to help you manage your content. The website itself is completely detached from the CMS, meaning that even if an easy to use exploit is found and your CMS has not yet been updated, it’s not actually ‘online’ to be attacked in the first place! This is called a ‘decoupled’ architecture and it’s not only more secure, but it also means your website runs a lot faster, too.
What ‘decoupled’ actually means
Unlike most CMS solutions, where your CMS and the website itself are installed on the same server and connected ‘live’ to each other via the database, we’ve configured our solution to work as a ‘decoupled’ system – the CMS and the website itself are never actually attached to each other directly.
This means several very important things:
- Your CMS can be securely located behind firewalls and additional security steps – or even on your internal network – making it physically impossible for external users to hack into it.
- Your website is deployed as static HTML files, meaning they are extremely quick to load and impervious to traditional compromise attacks that most CMS websites face.
- Your website is also able to withstand much more traffic without overloading, simply because it does not need to connect to the CMS or the database to load every page.
We can even encrypt your important information, such as personal user information, using a highly secure encryption method exclusive to us (we invented it) that means that, even if your website server is hacked, there is no way to decrypt your data as the keys to do so are never actually stored in the same place as the data itself.
- Your CMS, staging version of the website and any connections you might require to internal file systems or authentication controllers (such as Active Directory) are firewalled off so they’re only accessible to the people you want them to be. This can even be within your internal network, as no live connection to the website is required.
- As and when you choose to update your website, a secure connection is made between your CMS and your dedicated webserver, and the updates deployed automatically.
- Your dedicated webserver is what your visitors connect to, and it serves a combination of static HTML and dynamic content such as user comments and user account details.
- Optionally, we can install a second server – only accessible via the internal network of our datacenter so securely hidden from public access – which can encrypt and decrypt your sensitive information on the fly, ensuring that you are offering your users the very best protection.
- Your visitors access your website as normal, over an SSL connection, completely unaware of the solution in place. Your website can naturally deal with spikes in traffic due to the way it is disconnected from your CMS.
So, tell me about how my site would run faster
When your website is deployed to your webserver, it ends up as a combination of static HTML files for your content and layout, dynamic files for your searching, and local database-driven content for things like your user records. On virtually every website ever, the majority of visitor traffic is geared towards loading and consuming page content, and as your website loads this in from static HTML, as apposed to going off and getting it from a CMS database, it’s extremely fast – about as fast as content can possibly be processed and delivered by a webserver, really.
So your site naturally runs faster, and as an added bonus – because it takes much less processing power to serve up files in this manner – you can handle far more simultaneous visitors to your site too, meaning better resiliency when a spike in traffic comes along, and all around lower hosting bills.
Want to see a demo?
We don’t currently have an online demo because whilst we make use of standardised tools and ideas, the real power is how we can make it work exactly for your needs.
With that in mind, we’d much rather arrange a demo fro you – just drop us a line and we’ll set something up.